Phone : +90 (216) 516 32 73
B.Sc. in Geophysics, Istanbul University, Turkey. 1972
M.Sc. in Seismology, Istanbul University, Turkey, 1976
Ph.D. in Seismology, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey, 1984
· 1997-Present Professor, Department of Geophysics,
Kandilli Observatory and Earthquake Research Institute,-KOERI ,
Bogaziçi University, Istanbul, Turkey.
· 2010-Present Member, IRIS- International Development Seismology Committee
· 2004-2007 Chairman, Department of Geophysics, KOERI, Bogazici University,
· 2004-2006 Deputy Director, KOERI, Bogazici University,
· 2003-2006 Director, Belbasi Nuclear Test Monitoring Center, KOERI, Bogazici University,
· 2000- 2003 Head of the IMS Belbasi (BRTR -PS43) array. KOERI, Bogazici University,
· 1992-1997 Assoc. Prof. Department of Geophysics, KOERI, Bogaziçi University,
· 1994- 1997 Turkish delegate to Conference on Disarmament for the Ad Hoc Group of Scientific Experts meeting in the United Nations in Geneva.
· 1994-2000 Member of the Turkish Delegation to the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty Organization-CTBTO
· 1992-1999 Head of the Seismological Observatory at KOERI.:
Establishment of On-Line, Dial-up and Broad Band Seismic Networks in Turkey.
Establishment of the Data and Information Center for KOERI.
Establishment of the data acquisition and monitoring systems for the National Data Center (NDC) at KOERI
· 1985-1991 Assist. Professor, Seismological-Geophysical Observatory, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
Planning, Installation and Operation Studies of the Saudi Arabian National Seismic Network.
· 1982-1985 Director, IRIS (ANTO), Ankara Seismic Broad-band Station, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey, · 1980-1985 Instructor, Department of Geological Engineering, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey.
· Principle Investigator:3-D Velocity Structure of the Northwest extension of North Anatolian Fault (Ganos Fault), sponsored by Bogazici University Research Fund:BAP 5561.
· Principle Investigator: 3-D Lithospheric Structure of Isparta Angle and Southwestern Turkey by Surface Tomography and Ambients Noise Correletion , sponsored by Bogazici University Research Fund:BAP 5144.
· Co-Investigator: Caucasus Seismic Emergency Response-CAUSER”, Sponsored by NATO SfP 983282.
· Co-Investigator: “High-Resolution Seismic Velocity and Attenuation Models of the Caucasus-Caspian region”. Sponsored by US Department of Energy DESC52-06NA27305.
· Principle Investigator: “A Stable Regional Magnituted Methodology: Application to IMS Stations in the Eastern Mediterranean Region”, sponsored by US Department of Energy, DE-FC03-01SF22416/A000, 2000-2002.
· Coordinator and Co-Investigator; “Collaborative Research: Mantle Dynamics and Continental Deformation in the Isparta Angle”, sponsored by the research fund of University of Missouri, 2006-2007.
· Coordinator and Co-Investigator; “Eastern Turkey Seismic Experiment: Lithospheric Structure in an Active Continental Collision Zone”, sponsored by the USA National Science Foundation- NSF, EAR-9804780, 1999-2003.
· Principle Investigator: “Doğu Anadolu Bölgesinin Uydu Görüntüleri ve Hava Fotoğrafları Kullanılarak Aktif Tektonik Öğelerinin Belirlenmesi”, sponsored by Boğaziçi University Research Fund-99T206, 1999-2001.
· Co-Investigator; “Focal Mechanism Studies of Erzincan and izmir Earthquakes”, sponsored by the USA National Science Foundation- NSF, 1995-1996.
· Co-Investigator; “Seismicity of the Marmara Region”, sponsored by the Turkish National Research Foundation-TUBITAK and the Bogaziçi University Research Foundation, 1995-1996.
· Consultant; “An Investigation of Crustal Structure Beneath Riyadh Region from Spectral Analysis of P-wave Data”-PI: Dr. Abdullah Al Amri”, sponsored by the King Abdulaziz City and Technology (KACST), Project No: AR-13-46, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, 1993-1995.
- Coordinator and Co-Investigator; “Continental Dynamics/Central Anatolian Tectonics (CD-CAT): Surface to mantle dynamics during collision to escape”, sponsored by the USA National Science Foundation- NSF, 2012-present.
- Coordinator and Co-Investigator; “Deep Crustal Structure of the North Anatolian Fault Zone and The Earthquake Cycle”, sponsored by the Natural Environment Research Council- NERC, NE/I028017/1, 1 October 2011-present. < http://homepages.see.leeds.ac.uk/~earsro/FaultLab/FaultLab_index.html >
- Co-Investigator: Caucasus Seismic Emergency Response-CAUSER”, Sponsored by NATO SfP 983282, 2009-present.
· Seismology, Advanced Seismology, Observational Seismology, Seismic Instrumentation. Introduction to Seismology
MSc/PhD Theses Completed
· Rengin Gök, 2001. “Regional Wave Propagation and Attenuation in Turkey and Surrounding Regions: Implications for Lithospheric Structure”.
· Metin Kahraman, 2008. “Crustal Structure of the Isparta Angle and Surrounding Regions P-Receiver Function Analysis”
· Gülten Polat, 2006. “Seismic Anizotropy and Mantle Flow Beneath Turkey”
· Uğur Mustafa Teoman, 2005. “3-D P wave Velocity Structure Beneath Eastern Turkey Applying Local Earthquake Tomography (LET) Method”.
· Tuna Eken, 2003. “An Application Of The Coda Methodology For Moment Rate Spectra Using Three Broadband Stations In Turkey”
· Seyhun Püskülcü. 1996. “Attenuation of Lg phases in Eastern Turkey”.
· Gonca Örgülü, 1996. “Standardization of the duration based magnitude for earthquakes in the Eastern Mediterranean Region”.
· Rengin Gök, 1995. “Polarization analysis of short period converted waves for determining the upper crustal structure of the Izmit Bay”.
· Nusret Emekli, 1985. “Seismicity of the area between Izmit and Kastamonu”, 1985.
MSc/PhD Theses in Progress
PhD: Mustafa Ugur Teoman and Metin Kahraman
MSc: Ersin Çakır
Necioglu, A., Maddison B., Türkelli N., “ A Study of Crustal and Upper Mantle Structure Of Northwestern Turkey”, Geophysical Research Letters, V.8, N:1, 1981.
Pinar, A, Türkelli, N., “Source inversion of the 1993 and 1995 Gulf of Aqaba earthquakes”, Techtonophysics, V.283, N:1-4, 1997. Gök R., N. Türkelli, E. Sandvol, D. Şeber, and M. Barazangi, “Regional Wave Probagation in Turkey and Surrounding Regions”, Geophysical Research Letters, V.27, N:3,429-432, February 1, 2000.
Gürbüz, C., M. Aktar, H. Eyidoğan, A. Cisternas, H. Haessler, A. Barka, M. Ergin, N. Türkelli, O. Polat, S. B. Üçer , S. Kuleli, Ş. Barış, B. Kaypak, T. Bekler, E. Zor, F. Biçmen, A. Yörük, “The Seismotectonics of the Marmara Region (Turkey): Results from a microseismic experiment”. Tectonophysics, 316, 1-17, 2000.
Kuleli S., E. Zor, N. Türkelli, E. Sandvol, D. Seber, and M. Barazangi, “The IMS Belbasi Seismic Array (BRAR) in Central Turkey”, Seismological Research Letters, V.72, N:1 ,60-69, January/February 2001.
Sandvol, E., Al-Damegh K., Calvert A., Seber D., Barazangi M., Mohamad R., Türkelli N., Gok R., Gurbuz C., “ Tomographic Imaging of Lg and Sn propagation in the Middle East”, Pure and Applied Geophysics, V:158, 1121-1163, 2001.
N. Türkelli, Editor, Proceedings of the Tectonics of Eastern Turkey&the Northern Arabian Plate, International Workshop, Erzurum, 2002.
A. Al-Lazki, D. Seber, E.Sandvol, N.Türkelli, R. Mohamad, M. Barazangi, “Tomographic Pn velocity and anisotropy structure beneath the Anatolian plateau (eastern Turkey) and the surrounding regions”, Geophys. Res. Lett., Vol. 30, No. 24, 8043, 10.1029/2003GL017391.
N. Türkelli, E. Sandvol, E. Zor, R. Gok, T. Bekler, A. Al-Lazki, H. Karabulut, S. Kuleli, T. Eken, C. Gurbuz, S. Bayraktutan, D. Seber, M. Barazangi, “ Seismogenic zones in Eastern Turkey”, Geophys. Res. Lett., Vol. 30, No. 24, 8039, 10.1029/2003GL018023.
R.. Gök,E. Sandvol, N.Türkelli, D. Seber ,M. Barazangi, “Sn attenuation in the Anatolian and Iranian plateau and surrounding regions”, Geophys. Res. Lett., Vol. 30, No. 24, 8042. 10.1029/2003GL018020.
E. Zor, E. Sandvol, C. Gürbüz, N. Türkelli, D. Seber, M. Barazangi, “The crustal structure of the East Anatolian plateau (Turkey) from receiver functions”, Geophys. Res. Lett., Vol. 30, No. 24, 8044. 10.1029/2003GL018192.
E. Sandvol, N. Türkelli, E. Zor, R. Gok, T. Bekler, C. Gurbuz, D. Seber and M. Barazangi Shear wave splitting in a young continent-continent collision: An example from Eastern Turkey” Geophys. Res. Lett., Vol. 30, No. 24, 8038. 10.1029/2003GL018912.
E. Sandvol, N. Türkelli, M. Barazangi, “The Eastern Turkey Seismic Experiment: The study of a young continent-continent collision”, Geophys. Res. Lett., Vol. 30, No. 24, 8038. 10.1029/2003GL018912.
Örgülü, G., Aktar M., Türkelli N. Sandvol Eric, Barazangi M., “Contribution to the seismotectonics of Eastern Turkey from moderate and small size events”, Geophys. Res. Lett., Vol. 30, No. 24, 8040. 10.1029/2003GL018258.
A. Al-Lazki, E.Sandvol, D. Seber, M. Barazangi N.Türkelli, R. Mohamad, , “Pn tomographic imaging of mantle lid velocity and anisotropy at the junction of the Arabian, Eurasian and African plates” , Geophysical Journal International, Vol. 158, No.3, 1024-1040, 2004.
C. Gurbuz, N. Türkelli, T. Bekler, R. Gok, E. Sandvol, D. Seber and M. Barazangi, “Seismic Event Location Calibration Using the Eastern Turkey Broadband Seismic Network: Analysis of the Agri Dam Explosion”, Bull. Seism.Soc. Am. V.94, No.3, 1166-1171, June 2004.
T. Eken, K. Mayeda, A. Hofstetter, R. Gök, G. Örgülü and N. Türkelli, “An application of the coda methodology for moment-rate spectra using broadband stations in Turkey”, Geophys. Res. Lett., Vol. 31, L11609/2004GL019627,2004.
Zor E., Sandvol, E., Xie, J., Türkelli, N., Mitchell, B., Gasanov, A.H., and Yetirmishli, G., “Crustal Attenuation within the Turkish Plateau and Surrounding Regions”,BSSA, Vol. 97, No. 1B, pp. 1–, February 2007, doi: 10.1785/0120050227.
Gök, R. J. Mellors, E. Sandvol,M. Pasyanos,T. Hauk, R. Takedatsu, G. Yetirmishli, U. Teoman, N. Turkelli, T. Godoladze, and Z. Javakishvirli, “Lithospheric velocity structure of the Anatolian plateau-Caucasus-Caspian region”, Journal of Geophysical Research, Solid Earth, VOL. 116, B05303, doi:10.1029/2009JB000837, 2011.
Xueyang Bao, Eric Sandvol, Ekrem Zor, Sakir Sakin, Randa Mohamad, Rengin Gök, Robert Mellors, Tea Godoladze, Gurban Yetirmishli, and Niyazi Türkelli, “Pg Attenuation Tomography within the Northern Middle East”, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, Vol. 101, No. 4, pp. 1496–1506, doi: 10.1785/0120100316, August 2011.
J. Mellors, J. Jackson, S. Myers, R. Gok, K. Priestley, G. Yetirmishli , N. Turkelli, and T. Godoladze, “Deep earthquakes beneath the northern Caucasus: evidence of active or recent subduction in western Asia”, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, Vol. 102, No. 2, pp. 862-866, doi: 10.1785/0120100316, April 2012.
Sakir Sahin, Xueyang Bao, Niyazi Türkelli, Eric Sandvol, Ugur Teoman, and Metin Kahraman, “Lg Wave Attenuation in the Isparta Angle and Anatolian Plateau (Turkey)”, Pure and Applied Geophysics, Vol. 170, pp. 337-351; DOI 10.1007/s00024-012-0517-1,2013.